Friday, January 8, 2016

The Non-Fiddling Campbellites, The Mary Parker Saga, Part 2

[Originally published in the July 11, 1990 issue of the Camden Chronicle]

Dear Editor:

There are a number of reasons why I write these letters to the Editor. First, I enjoy writing them and, if the letters and phone calls I receive are a true indication, there are some subscribers who enjoy reading them. That pleases me to no end. Then, sometimes other rewards come in surprising ways. Two days ago I answered the doorbell to find a man standing on the porch.

"Are you James Parker?" he cocked his head to one side and narrowed his eyes. Since he carried no net nor wore a badge, I admitted that I was.

"I'm Shannon Parker and the Mary Parker you write about, the one that escaped from her grave at Mt. Zion Cemetery, that was my grandmother." I invited him inside and there followed an hour of animated and enjoyable conversation.

Shannon Parker said he was born in 1919 and spent his early years in Carroll County, mostly in Bruceton. Later, he went to high school in Holladay in Benton County. In 1940, his family moved north, first to Ohio, then to Michigan and, except for a few years making war on the Germans, he has been in the Detroit area since.

He talked of his immediate family.  His wife's picture showed a motherly looking lady with features that must have made her a stunner as a teenager. He passed me pictures of his son, daughter and grandchildren -- beautiful people, blonde and intelligent looking young folk you would claim for your kin, whether they were or not. Only one flaw showed up in Shannon Parker's otherwise perfect character: he belongs to the Church of Christ. A Campbellite! Or, if you remember the vernacular, a "Camelite!"

Now, most Parkers are Methodists, defending and promoting that religion from the rising of the sun til the bats go to roost. Shannon was probably influenced by his wife, who is an English girl and strong-willed, as English girls are wont to be. I can say this because my earliest recollection of going to church was to the Cedar Grove Church of Christ!

Alexander Campbell, ca. 1855
The Church of Christ was founded by a man named Alexander Campbell.  In 1906, a rift over music developed among the adherents of the faith. One group said only the human voice could make a joyful noise until the Lord. Others maintained that the noise would be a lot more joyful if accompanied by an organ or a piano. They split with the No Instruments group referring to the Musical Instrument group as "fiddling Campbellites."

Cedar Grove Church used no instruments; all singing was a cappella. My mother belongs to the faith and was determined that the souls of her children were going to be saved without music. "She believes," said my father, "that music-saved Christians will have to sit on a nail keg in the back row of the Heavenly Church."

They went round and round about that issue, but neither gave in. Dad died a Methodist and Mom, though old and unable to attend the services, still retains her beliefs and her joyful noise is all her own.

I didn't get Shannon Parker's sect affiliation but the next time we meet, I'll ask if he plays a fiddle or uses a tuning fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment